This may be a recipe that I first made in Home Ec class. The only thing I remember for sure was that it was love at first bite. I adore chocolate and peanut butter together, and the texture is great with a creamy blob of chocolate topping the chewy peanut butter cookie. I’m not the only one who loves these cookies. My daughter and I added them to our usual biscotti line up for the pre-Christmas markets while we were farmers market vendors. Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies were always the first to sell out, and they brought out so many nostalgic stories from the market crowd.
Hershey’s kisses can be difficult to find in some parts of the world. I made these while I was in Poland, without chocolate kisses. I just pushed a small square of chocolate from a bar into the top of the warm cookie. The appearance may have suffered a little, but not the flavor.
These are so easy to make that Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies are a good choice for baking with kids.
Much sweeeter than Polish baked goods, Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies were always a hit with our Polish friends.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Additional granulated sugar (about 2 tablespoons)
- About 7 dozen Hershey’s Kisses, unwrapped
- Preheat oven to 375
- Beat 1/2 cup sugar, the brown sugar, peanut butter, butter and eggs
- Stir in flour, baking soda and baking powder
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls
- Roll in additional granulated sugar
- Place about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet
- Bake 8 – 10 minutes or until edges are light brown
- Immediately press 1 chocolate candy in center of each cookie
- Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack