When people speak about weather in Poland, the focus is usually on the winters, but the change of seasons gives Poles a real appreciation for summer. Weekends are busy with cookouts, long days at the lake, making the most of all that sunshine. You get the idea. Here are a dozen Polish recipes for summer to add delicious fun to the your table!
- Polish Peach Cake – Ciasto Brzoskwiniowe
- Polish Strawberries Whipped Cream & Meringue – Truskawa z Bita Smietana i Bezy
- Polish Cabbage Salad – Salatka z Kapusty
- Polish Roasted Carrots – Pieczone Marchewki
- Green Beans Polish Style – Fasolka Szparagowa Zielona la Polonaise
- Polish Fruit Drink – Kompot
- Polish Cucumber Salad – Mizeria
- Polish Cucumbers Preserved in Brine – Ogorki Kiszone
- Polish Peach Ice Cream – Lody Brzoskwiniowe
- Polish Broad Bean Salad – Bob
- Polish Raspberry Jam (with optional brandy) – Dzem Malinowy
- Polish Cold Beet Soup – Choldnik
Summer brings a bounty of fresh fruits and vegetables. So many people have vegetable garden or an allotment that they “farm,” or they’re likely to know someone who is growing organic vegetables and will buy several kilos to enjoy now and put up for later in the year. It’s not uncommon the have a meal at a friend’s home and find out that they grew all of the produce themselves with a few lettuce plants, tomatoes, herbs, etc.
Corners near busy tram stops will have vendors with the latest in the seasons harvest, white asparagus, raspberries, cherries. It’s so wonderful to take home something that was probably picked the day before.
Whatever your tastes, sweet or savory, you’re sure to find something in this collection of recipes for summer that will sound appealing, from peach ice cream and peach cake to roasted carrots or a cold beet soup. Let me know what you’re cooking this summer in the comments. 🙂
Enjoy the long summer days.