1 medium eggplant, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 pint cherry tomatoes
3 garlic cloves, whole
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 pound penne pasta
1/4 cup torn fresh mint leaves
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Combine the eggplant, cherry tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes in a large bowl; toss to coat.
- Place the veggie mixture evenly on your prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the eggplant is golden brown.
- Add pine nuts to a small baking dish and bake for 8 minutes, transfer to a bowl to cool. This can be done with the vegetables are roasting.
- Prepare penne by boiling in salted water for 8 to 10 minutes, until tender but still firm. Drain pasta and transfer to a large bowl, reserving 1 1/2 cups cooking liquid.
- Pulse roasted vegetables, mint, and extra-virgin olive oil in a food processor until smooth but with some small bits of vegetable remaining.
- Add pureed vegetables and Parmesan cheese to pasta. Stir. Gradually add cooking liquid until the pasta is saucy.
- Sprinkle with pine nuts and serve.
Serves 4 – 6