Something different for vegetarians and vegans, loved by meat-eaters too!
- 2 cups soft white wheat berries
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6-ounce jar pesto (for vegan use your favorite vegan pesto)
- 2 ounces Parmesean cheese, grated (omit for vegan)
- 3/4 pound raw asparagus, chopped
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- In a saucepan, add wheat and enough water to bring the level two inches above the wheat berries.
- Add salt and bring to a boil; simmer approximately one hour, until berries are tender but still have a little crunch and chewiness.
- Drain and rinse.
- In a bowl, combine cooked wheat berries with remaining ingredients.
- For the presentation above, place a large round cookie cutter on the plate and pack the salad into it. Carefully, lift the cookie cutter and garnish with asparagus tips.