Something different for vegetarians and vegans, loved by meat-eaters too!
- 2 cups soft white wheat berries
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6-ounce jar pesto (for vegan use your favorite vegan pesto)
- 2 ounces Parmesean cheese, grated (omit for vegan)
- 3/4 pound raw asparagus, chopped
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- In a saucepan, add wheat and enough water to bring the level two inches above the wheat berries.
- Add salt and bring to a boil; simmer approximately one hour, until berries are tender but still have a little crunch and chewiness.
- Drain and rinse.
- In a bowl, combine cooked wheat berries with remaining ingredients.
- For the presentation above, place a large round cookie cutter on the plate and pack the salad into it. Carefully, lift the cookie cutter and garnish with asparagus tips.
An accountant by trade and a food blogger since 2009, Lois Britton fell in love with Polish cuisine during the years she lived in Poznań, Poland. As the creator of PolishHousewife.com, she loves connecting readers with traditional Polish recipes. Lois has a graduate certificate in Food Writing and Photography from the University of South Florida. She is the author of The Polish Housewife Cookbook, available on Amazon and on her website.