During the four years we lived in Spain, we never had fava beans, but we came across this dish in a Spanish restaurant in Poland recently. I liked the combination of flavors and textures; I just wish the restaurant had taken the time to remove the tough peel from the beans. It greatly improves the texture and lets the bright green color shine.
2 cups fava beans
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 – 4 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil the beans in salted water until tender, 5 – 10 minutes. Drain
- Using a sharp knife, make a small slit in the skin of each bean; peel and discard the skin
- Add oil and garlic to a frying pan and cook over medium-high heat until the chorizo begins to flavor the oil
- Add garlic, continue cooking for a couple of minutes
- Add peeled fava beans and reduce heat to medium, continue to cook 3 – 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
An accountant by trade and a food blogger since 2009, Lois Britton fell in love with Polish cuisine during the years she lived in Poznań, Poland. As the creator of PolishHousewife.com, she loves connecting readers with traditional Polish recipes. Lois has a graduate certificate in Food Writing and Photography from the University of South Florida. She is the author of The Polish Housewife Cookbook, available on Amazon and on her website.