A light, crisp, spice cookie
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a saucepan, heat the honey, butter, and brown sugar over medium heat until the butter melts and sugar dissolves
- Remove from heat, cool if the mixture is too warm. You don’t want to scramble the egg you’re adding in the next step
- Stir in egg
- Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cocoa, and salt
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface, about 1/4 inch thick
- Cut into shapes or press into prepared molds
- Bake on a parchment-lined cookie sheet, about 8 minutes
- Substitute 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1 teaspoon ground ginger if you don’t have gingerbread seasoning.
- A couple of readers have had trouble with the dough being too crumbly, a sign of too much flour or too little liquid. Measure carefully, and you may want to add the flour gradually, stopping before it becomes difficult to work in the flour. The dough should be soft and pliable.
Keywords: Polish gingerbread cookies, pierniki