A delicious, light, crisp cookie
- 1/4 cup sour cream (60g)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking ammonia
- 1 3/4 cups flour (250g)
- 5 tablespoons sugar (65g)
- pinch of salt
- 9 tablespoons cold butter, (125g)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup sugar (100g), for rolling the cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (180° C)
- Stir together the sour cream and baking ammonia, set aside.
- Add the flour, 5 tablespoons sugar, and a pinch of salt to a mixing bowl and cut in the cold butter using two knives, a pastry blender, or working it in with your hands until you have a fine crumb texture.
- Stir in the vanilla, egg, and sour cream with baking ammonia. Combine until all of the dry ingredients are incorporated into one mass.
- Generously sprinkle sugar on a clean surface (you’ll roll out the dough multiple times, so don’t use the entire 1/2 cup of sugar on the first batch). Place the dough on top of the sugar and roll to a thickness of just less than 1/4 inch (1/2 cm). Sprinkle a pinch of flour over the dough if needed to make it easier to roll, but use as little as possible.
- Cut out cookies using small cookie cutters or a small glass. Make your cutouts as close as possible to each other to minimize the number of times the scraps are rolled out. This is good advice for any rolled cookie. Overworking the dough by working the scraps back together and rolling again can make for a tougher cookie. That being said, do continue to re-roll the dough 2 or 3 times.
- As you place the cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet pan, turn them over so the sugared bottoms are now the tops. If your cookie didn’t get much sugar in the rolling process, you can sprinkle a pinch of sugar on top now. Space the cookies 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) apart. They don’t spread much. Bake for 10 – 15 minutes, until the edges are lightly brown.
Keywords: Polish ammonia cookies, CIASTECZKA AMONIACZKI