A hearty and delicious, cold-weather dish, pork and sauerkraut!
- 2 – 2 1/2 pounds pork roast or chops
- salt, pepper, and sweet paprika to season the pork
- 2 pounds sauerkraut (Preferably natural, fermented in brine. If you’re using canned kraut, drain and rinse.)
- 1 tablespoon Vegeta (or 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 whole allspice berries
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/4 cup oil, divided
- 2 – 4 carrots, peeled and shredded
- If you’re using a roast, slice it into 3/4-inch thick pieces and season with salt, pepper, and paprika. Put in a sealed container and marinate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Add the sauerkraut to a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and drain. Add to the pot with the sauerkraut: 2 cups of water, Vegeta (or substitute spices), bay leaves, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and allspice. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute the onion in 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat until it just begins to brown. Add the onion and the carrot to the sauerkraut.
- Add 2 tablespoon oil to a frying pan and brown the meat on both sides. Add an additional tablespoon of oil if needed.
- Place half of the sauerkraut mixture in a casserole dish (I used 9 x 13-inch). Place the meat on top of the kraut, and top the meat with the remaining sauerkraut. Cover (with foil if your dish doesn’t have a lid). bake for 90 minutes.
Keywords: Polish pork and sauerkraut