Full of fruit and nuts, this Polish Plum Cake with almond filling is amazing!
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter (250g), very cold
- 1 1/4 cups sugar (250g), plus additional for sprinkling
- 2 cups ground almonds (300g)
- 1 3/8 cups flour (165g), divided
- 4–6 plums
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, plus additional for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds (50g)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F or 180° C. Prepare a 9 x 13-inch pan (23 x 33-cm) by lining it with parchment paper.
- Add the butter, sugar, and ground almonds to a food processor and process until you have a thick crumble. Remove half of the mixture and refrigerate it.
- Base: mix 1 1/8 cups flour (140g) into the other half of the mixture and press into your prepared pan. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, until the dough just begins to get some color. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for about 30 minutes.
- While the base is cooling, slice the plums in half and remove the pits, slice into quarters.
- Reserve 5 tablespoons of the refrigerated mixture and keep it refrigerated for the topping.
- Custard: add the rest of the almond-butter-sugar mixture to the food processor and process with 1/4 cup flour (25g), the eggs, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and baking powder. Pour into the baking pan and spread over the cooled base. Top with the plum quarters, skin side down. Sprinkle each plum with sugar (about 1/8 teaspoon) and a pinch or dash of cinnamon. Return to the oven for 20 minutes.
- Topping: remove from the oven and sprinkle with sliced almonds. Spread the remaining refrigerated mixture over the top by pinching off little pieces of the crumble and distributing or try shredding the crumble mixture to evenly disburse across the top. Return to the oven for 20 minutes. The crumble should be a golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool in the pan before serving.
You may want to put the butter in the freezer for 15 – 20 minutes
I like to grease the pan to hold the parchment paper in place.
Keywords: Polish plum cake, Polish plum cake with almond filling