A Polish recipe adapted for readily available ingredients
for the crust:
- 5 oz all-purpose flour
- 1 oz icing (confectioners) sugar
- Pinch salt
- 3 oz butter
- 2 egg yolks
for the filling:
- 1/2 pound cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 oz butter, softened
- 3 oz caster sugar
- 1 oz plain flour
- 2 eggs, separated + 1 white (save a white from the pastry)
- 2 tbsp milk
- Make the pastry by combining the flour, sugar, salt, butter, egg yolks, and adding a little water if necessary. Chill for at least 30 mins.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Line a 7 x 11 – inch pan with your pastry (reserving scraps to roll out thinly for the top in step 6, as in the photo).
- Beat butter and sugar to a soft cream. Add flour and milk. Beat yolks and add to mixture and then beat in cream cheese.
- In a separate bowl whisk 3 egg whites until stiff and fold them in.
- Put filling into pastry-lined pan and put crisscross strips across. It can be rustic looking.
- Bake for 25 mins. The top will start to brown and filling will rise up a bit but will settle back down on cooling.
- Cool completely. You can refrigerate before serving. Store in the fridge if you have leftovers! You can dust the top with icing sugar before serving and it’s great served with strawberries and raspberries.
Keywords: Polish cheesecake