A crunchy chocolate crust with creamy minty ice cream!
- 35 Oreo sandwich cookies, divided
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 6 drops green food coloring
- whipped cream for garnish
- Finely chop 20 of the chocolate cookies in a food processor. Transfer to a bowl and mix in the melted butter until well combined. Press the crumbs into the bottom and sides of an 8-inch pie plate and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar until thickened. Then add the cornstarch and set aside.
- In a large saucepan set over medium heat, bring the half-and-half to a simmer. Remove from the heat and slowly beat the hot half-and-half into the eggs and sugar, stirring constantly to avoid scrambling.
- Pour the entire mixture back into the saucepan and stir constantly over medium-low heat until the custard thickens slightly. Do not let it boil.
- Pour the custard through a fine strainer into a large bowl. Stir in the heavy cream, peppermint extract, and food coloring.
- Depending on your ice cream maker, you may need to refrigerate the ice cream mixture until cold. Follow the manufacturer’s directions at this point. When the ice cream is almost finished in the ice cream maker, add in 6 coarsely chopped Oreos. Ice cream is generally still somewhat soft at this stage.
- Transfer the slightly softened ice cream to the prepared piecrust. Garnish with remaining Oreos as desired. Place in freezer until firm, about 2 hours. Garnish with whipped cream before serving.
Cooking time includes freezing time
Ice cream recipe adapted from The Ultimate Ice Cream Book