Cabbage roll soup – all of the flavors without all of the work! This is easiest if you’re using meat and cabbage leftover from preparing cabbage rolls.
- 1/4 cup white rice
- 1/4 pound ground beef
- 1/4 pound ground pork
- 1 small egg
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or oil
- 3 cups chopped cabbage
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 8 cups beef broth or water and bouillon cubes
- a pinch of dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the rice according to directions.
- Season the meat lightly with salt and pepper. Combine the cooked rice with the beef, pork, and egg, form tiny “meatballs.”
- Add the onion and butter or oil to a large soup pot, cook over medium-high heat until the onion just begins to brown. Add the cabbage, tomatoes, beef broth, parsley, and the meatballs. Bring to a boil and simmer for 40 minutes to an hour. (The cabbage will cook more quickly if it was previously frozen.)
- Season to taste with salt and pepper before serving.
Keywords: cabbage roll soup