A boozy sauce, perfect over a simple cake or ice cream
- 8 egg yolks
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 can of evaporated milk (about 1 1/3 cups)
- 3/4 cups spirytus (grain alcohol, 95% or 190 proof)
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Combine yolks and sugar in a bowl.
- Heat milk until just about to boil.
- Add 2 tablespoons hot milk to egg mixture while whisking. Continue adding very small amounts of hot milk to egg mixture until all milk is incorporated.
- Sit the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches 70 C or 160 F.
- Remove the bowl from the saucepan. Place plastic wrap directly on top of the egg mixture, and allow it to cool to room temp.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Store in clean jars until ready to use.
I was a worried that my Ajerkoniak would be too thin after I added the booze, but it magically jelled giving me the thick creamy sauce I was after.