More and more the research in nutrition is suggesting we need a low carb diet rather than the low fat plans that were popular twenty years ago. I’m always on the lookout for low carb treats, something to add a bit of fun to my day and fill the gap between meals. These peanut butter balls are not only low carb, but also gluten free.
They mix up quickly in one bowl with a wooden spoon or spatula. It’s a recipe that would be perfect for kids to help with. They’re more likely to eat something if they’ve helped to prepare it. 😉 I think the texture is perfect after they’ve been in the freezer about an hour. They’re more firm but still easy to bite into. There’s also a wonderful cooling sensation that reminds me of chocolate melting in your mouth. 😉
I choose to roll them in black sesame seeds and peanuts (that I had roasted for 7 – 8 min in a 350 F or 175 C oven and then chopped) because I had that combination in a meal recently, but you could use anything, coconut, cocoa powder, or maybe even chopped pistachios for the green color. I’m eager to hear what you think of these, so let me know how they turn out.
What’s your favorite snack?
ps — I must confess that I saw something similar on a blog last week, but couldn’t find the post again to link to it. Even that blogger, said they were adapting someone else’s recipe. Maybe I’ll find it again and can update later.
- 1½ cups peanut butter (350 g)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temp (125 g)
- 6 tablespoon vanilla whey powder sweetened with stevia (gluten-free) (90 g)
- black sesame seeds
- roasted peanuts, chopped
- Mix the peanut butter, cream cheese, and whey powder
- Roll into balls, ¾ inch (20 mm) in diameter, chilling the dough for 30 - 60 minutes will make it easier to work with
- Roll the balls in the sesame seeds and chopped peanuts, I used a 2:1 ratio
- Keep refrigerated.