Kotlet Schabowy is similar to the well know Viennese Schnitzel except we’re using pork rather than veal. Poles use the same technique with chicken or turkey breast, pound the meat into thin steaks, dredge in flour, egg, and the breadcrumbs before frying. Use beef and you have something like the American chicken fried steak. Pounding the meat until it’s thin, tenderizes it and insures that it cooks quickly, giving you a moist piece of meat in a crispy coating.
During the first year Ed lived in Poland while I was still working in the US. When we talked via Skype, he often mentioned that someone downstairs seemed to have a carpentry shop in the flat. He would often come home and hear someone hammering away. He assumed they were making furniture. It wasn’t until I moved to Poland and began making Kotlet Schabowy, that he realized the pounding sound was probably coming from the neighbors’ kitchen, not a wood shop.
You can serve Kotlet Schabowy with Mizeria, sautéed mushrooms, or with potato salad, or mashed or boiled potatoes. Sometimes, I’ll make a gravy with sautéed red bell pepper slices, heavily seasoned with black pepper to serve over the top.
How every you serve it, I’m sure you’ll enjoy Kotlet Schabowy.
Thin tenderized pork with a crispy coating
- 4 boneless pork chops
- salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup oil, more if needed
- Place pork chops on a cutting board and pound them flat, about 1/4 inch thick (they’ll be twice as big after the pounding)
- Season the flattened chops with salt and pepper
- Set up three plates, put flour in the first, beaten eggs, in the second, and breadcrumbs in the third
- Dredge the first cutlet with flour, then dip both sides in egg, then bread crumbs
- Set aside and repeat with the three remaining cutlets
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium high heat
- Add cutlets to the pan without crowding, it may take more than one batch
- Cook about 5 minutes and then turn to cook the other side
Don’t toss dry, stale bread. Blitz it in the food processor to make your own breadcrumbs, or you can grate the dry bread for the same result.