Today is the second finalle of the Heaven’s Cake Bakers. We’re supposed to be telling you about the 3 tier wedding cake we’ve prepared. I’m one that advocated for including a wedding cake, but I’ll have to give you and I.O.U. and a fabulous recipe for broccoli cheese soup.
I’ve been cooking two mornings a week at a ministry coffee shop – mainly their menu items, but occasionally something special from my repertoire. You know a few of Rose’s recipes will make an appearance. You can read more about Sweet Surrender on their website or in this post.
With the time I spend in the kitchen at the coffee shop, I’ve been baking less at home, but Rhonda was kind enough to let me share the recipe for their broccoli soup. It’s quick, easy, and delicious! This is always popular when the students who visit the shop on a blustery winter day. It brings me a lot of pleasure to prepare food that becomes someone’s comfort food!
I think it may have been the first recipe on my blog that one of our daughters has made. Actually, I think Rachel has made this multiple times.
I know you’ll enjoy this one.
2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, diced
4 cups chicken broth
2 pounds frozen broccoli florets
2 cups frozen carrot slices
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
8 ounces cream cheese
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in a large pan and cook onion until translucent
- Add broth, broccoli and carrots, bring to a boil, and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are tender
- Use a wooden spoon or spatula to break the broccoli into bite-sized pieces as you’re stirring
- In a bowl, combine the flour and milk until smooth
- Add milk mixture and cheeses to the soup, heating until melted
- Add seasonings as needed